The Ohio Development Services Agency and Mahoning Youngstown Community Action Partnership (MYCAP) will help eligible Ohioans stay warm during the cold winter months. The Home Energy Assistance Winter Crisis Program provides eligible Ohioans heating assistance if they are disconnected with their gas or electric, threatened with disconnection with the gas or the electric or if they have less than 25 percent supply of bulk fuel or repair of a non-heating furnace. The program runs from November 1, 2018 until March 31, 2019.
Customers need to call the new appointment line at 330-778-1133 to schedule.
Individuals interested in receiving Winter Crisis assistance must have a face-to-face interview at the local HEAP provider. Customers must bring the following items to their appointment:
- copies of their most recent energy bills, pending account numbers, bulk fuel bill
- proof of all household income for the past 30 days and 12 months for everyone self-employed, seasonal workers, such as teachers, construction workers and those doing odd jobs. Those requiring 12 months of income must also bring their most recently filed 1040 with all schedules, and an IRS Wage and Income Transcript, and an IRS Record of Account Transcript (obtain these by contacting the IRS at 1-800-908-9946)
- photo ID
- Social Security numbers for all household members
- proof of U.S. citizenship/legal residency for all household members
- Proof of disability (if disabled)
Examples of documents that are accepted to prove citizenship/legal residency include: a Social Security Card, birth certificate, U.S. Passport, naturalization paper/certification of citizenship, permanent VISA, and INS ID Card.
Last year more than 2,700 families in Mahoning County were assisted through the Home Energy Assistance Winter Crisis Program.
The Winter Crisis Program can assist those at or below 175% of the poverty level with up to $175.00 to restore service, transfer service, new service or to stop a disconnection. Bulk fuel customers with a 25% percent supply or less are eligible to receive a benefit and can also provide a payment to or towards repair or replacement of a furnace.
For more information about the features of the Winter Crisis Program, contact MYCAP at 330-747-7921. For more information about energy assistance programs call (800)282-0880, Monday through Friday(hearing impaired customers may dial 711 for assistance) and for a list of energy assistance providers select option 2, or visit www.energyhelp.ohio.gov.